Thursday, April 7, 2011

Assignment 2-2 Icon Analysis

Three contemporary icons are Dora the Explorer, Johnny Depp, and Batman. The reason I chose these three icons is because they represent what is significant to me and my children’s lives. What these icons mean to me is they are examples of role models to look up to, real or make believe. Each icon has affected me or my child’s lives in a positive way.
                The first icon, Dora, is a cartoon character in her own show, Dora the Explorer. She has taught my children Spanish words, counting skills, colors, and acceptance of other cultures. Dora became the first bilingual Hispanic cartoon character on television. Her image is now on most children’s apparel, including clothing, shoes, backpacks, toys etc. Dora has broken the barrier to allow other character’s in different cultures to be on television as well.
                The next icon is Johnny Depp. He is an actor who has played in many movies including the popular Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy, the upcoming Rango, and Sleepy Hollow. Johnny Depp has good talent and has played in many diverse films including horror, drama, action, and children’s films. Johnny is a role model for me because he puts his heart and soul into these characters to bring them to life. While being a famous celebrity, Johnny Depp has still remained humble and private in his personal life. I hope to portray the tenacity and modesty Johnny has in my future life and career as well.
                The last icon I chose is Batman. While Batman is an obvious superhero, he originally was a comic superhero that developed into a cartoon, and movies. Batman is a good role model because he tries to bring down evil, and saves people from harm’s way. While Batman is a fictional character, his values are good for modern society to hold on to.  I grew up watching Batman movies, and most recently the new Batman movies with Christian Bale. All of these icons are an important part of our lives, because they are good role models to look up to.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE Johnny Depp.I once read that he loves to do Tim Burton movies because he doesn't like to play the same kind of character twice. I remember him on 21 Jump Street with Holly Robinson. Wow. That sure does take me back.

    ReplyDelete